How do I get an NHRA Rulebook?

You can purchase them at our Concession Stand for just $10. Or, a current Rulebook is included with the purchase of an NHRA membership.

Do I need a helmet, and if so, what kind?

A helmet is required for ALL drivers of any vehicle down the racetrack. Most drivers can use a helmet meeting SNELL 2005 or 2010 specifications. It is important to note that the helmet rating must be designated on a tag INSIDE the helmet, or sewn to one of the helmet straps. The designation stenciled on the exterior of the helmet is insufficient for NHRA technical inspection.  SNELL K98, Snell 95 and Snell 2000 HELMETS ARE NO LONGER ACCEPTED!! 

IMPORTANT TECH UPDATE:  Effective 1/1/13 Snell 2000 Helmets will no longer be valid for use in drag racing.  Also as a reminder, neither are the Snell K98 and Snell 95 helmets.  Please check your helmet and if you have a Snell K98, Snell 95 or Snell 2000 you will need to replace it prior to competing in any competition at any NHRA sanctioned racetrack.  The Snell K98 and Snell 95 helmets are expired and no exceptions will be made for use of this model of helmet if you are running 13.99 and quicker in the 1/4 mile or 8.59 in the 1/8th mile.    Acceptable helmets are the Snell 2005 and Snell 2010.  Please also remind your fellow racers to check their helmets as well!!  Thanks.

When do I need a roll bar or roll cage?

A roll bar is mandatory in all cars (including T-Tops) running 11.00 to 11.49, in convertibles running 11.00 to 13.49, and in all dune buggy vehicles running 12.00 seconds and slower.   The rollbar must conform to the diagrams referenced in the NHRA Rulebook.

A roll cage is mandatory in cars running 10.99 or quicker or any vehicle running 135 mph or faster (regardless of E.T.).  In full-bodied cars, with unaltered firewall, floor and body (from the firewall rearward, wheeltubs permitted), running between 10.00 and 10.99, roll bar permitted in place of roll cage.  In convertibles running 10.99 or quicker or exceeding 135 mph, roll cage mandatory.  Cars runing between 7.50 and 9.99 must have chassis inspected every three (3) years by NHRA and have a serialized sticker affixed to the cage before participation.  Plating of chassis prohibited for all cars manufactured after 1/1/2003.  Rear-engine dragsters must conform to SFI Spec. 2.7A; vehicles running 8.49 to 7.50 and/or exceeding 180 mph must meet appropriate SFI Spec for body used.  All others must conform to specs for body style used, as listed in General Regulations 4:11, 10:6 of the NHRA Rulebook. 

How, where and when do I get a roll cage certified?

Rock Falls Raceway holds a Chassis Certification at the beginning of each racing season. Check out the website or contact Jennifer at (715) 858-0170 to find out when the Certification will take place. Otherwise, contact Jennifer Anderson or your Division Office and tell them you need a chassis certified. They will direct you to the NHRA Chassis Inspector in your area. Chassis certifications are also performed at all National and Divisional events, for participants. Due to busy event schedules, certifications are not always available at events for non-participants. Contact the Division office (for Division events) or the National Technical Department in Glendora (for national events) ahead of time to see if arrangements can be made. Three year certification stickers (for vehicles running 7.50 seconds and slower) are $150. If you arrange for a chassis inspector to come to your location, you will also be responsible for any travel expenses.

Do I need to have a competition license to drive in an NHRA sanctioned event?

An NHRA Competition License is required for all vehicles with an NHRA index or ET dial-in of 9.99 (6.39 for 1/8 mile) or quicker OR those vehicles that run 135 mph or quicker. In addition, licensed drivers will be issued a non-transferable competition number.  You also need to have a valid NHRA Membership.  To obtain the necessary Licensing forms contact Jennifer Anderson at (715) 858-0170 or these forms can be obtained online on our Division Website at .

Are there any other forms to submit with the license application?

Drivers are required to submit a physical examination form to receive a Medical Certificate. This form can be obtained by contacting Jennifer Anderson at (715) 858-0170 or online at our Division website at .

I have a street car that I occasionally run at the strip. I've relocated the battery to the rear. What else do I need?

Any car with a relocated battery must be equipped with a master electrical cutoff, capable of stopping all electrical functions including ignition (must shut the engine off, as well as fuel pumps, etc.). The switch must be located on the rear of the vehicle, with the "off" position clearly marked. If the switch is of a "push / pull" type, then "push" must be the motion that shuts off the switch, and plastic or "keyed" typed switches are prohibited. Also, the battery must be completely sealed from the driver and/or driver compartment. This means a metal bulkhead must separate the trunk from the driver compartment, or the battery must be located in a sealed, metal box constructed of minimum .024 inch steel or .032 inch aluminum, or in an NHRA accepted plastic box. In cars with a conventional trunk, metal can simply be installed behind the rear seat and under the package tray to effectively seal the battery off from the driver. In a hatchback type vehicle the battery box is usually the easiest solution, since the alternative is to fabricate a bulkhead which seals to the hatch when closed. At present, Moroso is the only company which offers an NHRA accepted plastic battery box, part number 74050.

But I drive on the street. I don't want a big cut off switch hanging on the back.

This solution takes a little work, but it solves the problem. Install the master cutoff inside the vehicle, positioned "sideways" so that the toggle moves forward and back. Drill a hole in the toggle handle, and attach a steel rod that will run out the back of the car, through a hole drilled completely through one tail light assembly. Have a spare tail light assembly on hand, so when you come home from the drags, you remove the rod and put the cherry tail light back in for street cruising. Next time you plan on going to the drag strip, swap lights and reinstall the rod. Since the drilled light is for the strip only, you can also have it marked "PUSH OFF" in big letters so the Tech Inspectors will think you're cool.

What is "SFI"?

The SFI Foundation, Inc. is an independent company that writes minimum specifications for various pieces of equipment used in all types of motorsports. When a manufacturer affixes a "Meets SFI Specifications" tag to a product, the consumer, as well as the sanctioning body, is assured that the product is made to some minimum standard. Without the tag, it is up to the consumer and/or technical inspector to make a decision as to the level of quality in a particular product. Most SFI specifications are performance oriented, in that they define what type of testing a product must be able to withstand before failure.

How do I obtain a copy of SFI chassis specifications?

These must be purchased directly from SFI. SFI can be reached by phone at 858-451-8868. Most of the specs now contain color coded illustrations, and are helpful to anyone building a chassis, even if the vehicle will not reach a performance level requiring an SFI spec chassis.

Last Revised 3/6/14.